Seattle's Union Gospel Mission
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission provides emergency care and long-term recovery services to hurting and homeless people in the greater Seattle area. SUGM's dedicated to serving, rescuing and transforming those in greatest need through the grace of Jesus Christ.
SUGM started serving soup to thousands of homeless and unemployed people during the Great Depression. More than 80 years later, they're still caring for their neighbors — but in more ways than ever!
They are challenging the standard thinking about how to fight poverty with 5 Mission Initiatives:
- Hunger: More and more seniors run out of money for food before the end of the month. Families face the difficult choice of paying rent and going hungry-eating and losing their home. Serving meals at the Mission will no longer stem the rising tide of hunger. They are doing more.
- Homelessness: Sleeping bags. Tents. Cardboard boxes. Walk through Seattle at night and you'll see them everywhere. Hundreds more hide underneath I-5 or in other dark corners of the city. They are expanding their shelter system and exploring new housing options.
- Poverty: Poverty lies at the core of every other issue they face. Catastrophic life events, lack of skills or general dysfunction are just a few of the causes. They are reaching into the dark corners and dead end streets to guide men and women down a path away from poverty.
- High Risk Youth: Poverty in inner city Seattle/King County drives youth to gangs. Gang life starts at 12 or 13 because lack of support and meaningful relationships drives young people to find somewhere to belong. They can prevent this tragedy by helping kids succeed in school and giving them role models they can trust.
- Addiction: Chains of addiction forged over years or decades cannot be broken overnight. The Mission’s long-term residential recovery programs for both men and women have proven exceptionally effective, but capacity is limited. The need far exceeds the supply. In response, they are expanding and enhancing our recovery programs.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is the real deal doing amazing work in their community. You can find out more on their website here. Help us end homelessness in Seattle by purchasing a necklace.